When you’re sick, try a Chai Hot Toddy to ease some of your cold symptoms. The lemon and honey should help soothe your throat and loosen congestion, and if all else fails, it’s hot, tastes good, and has alcohol. 😉
Happy Halloween! Whatever your plans are, I wish you many monstrous monster mashes, polite trick or treaters, and a scary good evening!
Since we are nearly past Halloween, I thought today would be a good time to post my Cold-Soothing Chai Hot Toddy.
I know, I know. I don’t want to think about cold season either, but trust me, pin these to a tucked away Pinterest board, and when the sniffles find you this winter, you can drop back by for a visit and make yourself one of these. You’ll be glad you did.
Most years, I get one good cold that knocks me flat. And when I do, I always drown my sorrows in a few of these babies, because they genuinely make me feel better.
I’m not going to say a Chai Hot Toddy will cure your cold, but indulging in one should ease some of your cold symptoms. There is lemon and honey to soothe your throat and loosen congestion, and enough whiskey to gently help you on your way to slumber. The chai doesn’t do anything, but it sure does make it taste good. 😉
I’m not much of a whiskey drinker, so I save these exclusively for cold season, but they are tasty enough that I could definitely see curling up by the fire with one of these at your elbow. And lucky for ill and woozy you, they are simple to make, so you only need to leave your nest of blankets for about two minutes to throw one together.
Chai Hot Toddy Recipe Notes
- If you don’t have chai tea, you can make a regular Hot Toddy by just omitting the tea-steeping step.
- Fresh-squeezed lemon juice is always preferred, but in a pinch, you can use the stuff from the fridge.
Cold-Soothing Chai Hot Toddy
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 chai tea bag decaff if you are caffeine sensitive
- 2 tablespoons whiskey or bourbon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice to taste
- In a small mug, steep tea bag in hot water according to package instruction. Stir in remaining ingredients until well-combined.
- Go back to bed and drink.