How to make a quick buttermilk substitute with just two ingredients.
Servings 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice OR white vinegar
- Scant 1 cup milk any percentage is fine
Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to a 1-cup measuring cup.
Fill the cup the rest of the way with milk.
Let sit for 5 minutes.
Use as you would buttermilk.
For smaller amounts of buttermilk, use the following amount of lemon juice OR vinegar and fill the measuring cup the rest of the way with milk.
- 3/4 cup use 2 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice/vinegar
- 2/3 cup use 2 teaspoons lemon juice/vinegar
- 1/2 cup use 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice/vinegar
- 1/3 cup use 1 teaspoon lemon juice/vinegar
- 1/4 cup use 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice/vinegar