How to Steam Broccoli in the Microwave, a quick step by step tutorial.
One of the earliest recipes I shared on this blog was my Butter and Garlic Green Beans recipe. At the time, it was my ultimate no-fail lazy-bones vegetable side recipe, and I still love it. It’s also one of the most popular recipes on the site, so clearly you guys love it too.
But since then, I’ve found an even EASIER, LAZIER vegetable side, one that requires me to turn on neither oven nor stove: Microwave-Steamed Broccoli.
Yup, did you know you can steam broccoli in the microwave? Because you can, and it’s GREAT. It’s great freshly steamed, with nothing on it or even better, tossed in a little butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
See Also: The BEST Crispy Oven-roasted Broccoli
On many a night, it has saved me from just eating a slab of meat with nothing else on my plate, because it’s basically zero effort and takes fewer than five minutes to make.
Here’s How to Steam Broccoli in the Microwave:
Place chopped broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and pour 3 tablespoons of water over the top.
Cover with a plate and microwave on high for 2 1/2 to 4 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
Be careful when you remove the broccoli from the microwave. The steam will be hot!
Transfer broccoli to a serving dish and serve plain or toss with butter and a little salt and pepper.
How easy was that!?
How to Steam Broccoli in the Microwave
- 1 large head broccoli chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon salted butter optional
- Salt and pepper to taste optional
- Place chopped broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and pour water over the top.
- Cover with a plate and microwave on high for 2 1/2 to 4 minutes, until broccoli is tender. Be careful when you remove the broccoli from the microwave. The steam will be hot!
- Transfer broccoli to a serving dish. If desired, top with butter, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.