Slow cooker BBQ chicken sandwiches for two with a sweet and tangy homemade tomato BBQ sauce and crunchy coleslaw topping. So easy. So good.
We’re getting a bit of a late start this month with our monthly theme, but better late than never, right? I debated a bit with myself over the August theme and eventually settled on… slow cooker recipes!
I know, slow cooker recipes are usually a fall and winter thing, but it’s hot. I don’t want to run the oven. I don’t want to play in the kitchen. I want to throw some ingredients together in a magical cooking contraption and forget about them as I drink frosty drinks and read the most indulgent summer literature available*. And I’m guessing maybe you do too.
And if not, well hey, these recipes will still be here in December.
We’re starting with Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches for Two, and I like this one so much. Meaty slow cooker recipes tend to be really hit or miss for me, but the one place the slow cooker never fails is cooking meat that’s used in fillings like sandwiches or tacos, etc. The long slow cooking time gives you meat that is moist and tender, full of flavor and perfect for shredding and serving up between some carbs.
You definitely get that with these Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. They are a perfect quick and tasty meal for two (or more, doubling instructions are in the recipe notes), and so easy to make. You just throw together a sweet and tangy homemade BBQ sauce that serves double duty as a marinade while your chicken cooks and as a topping when you assemble your sandwiches. It’s a killer sauce, bright, vinegary, sweet and sharp. These are definitely not boring sandwiches!
You pour it over your chicken and let it cook. When the meat is shreddable, use two forks to pull it apart, toss it back in your slow cooker to soak up all the flavor of the juice and then serve it over some lightly toasted rolls. Add some more of that homemade BBQ sauce, a crunchy small batch of coleslaw over the top, and enjoy.
*Hey, in case you don’t make a ton of coleslaw, I’ve embedded a video below with instructions for shredding cabbage. It’s very helpful!*
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches for Two
In the Slow Cooker
- 1 small (about 8oz) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons (25g) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded cabbage see video below
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sandwich rolls or hamburger buns
- Place your chicken breast in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the BBQ sauce ingredients. Reserve 1/2 cup to use later for topping. Cover reserved sauce and place in the refrigerator. Pour the rest of the sauce over the chicken and add diced onions and olive oil. Cover and cook for 2-3 hours on high or for 6-8 hours on low. Once the chicken can be easily shredded with two forks, it's done!
- Shred chicken breast and return the meat to the slow cooker to soak up the juices while you finish the BBQ sauce and make your coleslaw.
BBQ Sauce and Coleslaw
- In a small pot, heat the reserved BBQ sauce over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it just begins to bubble and the grains of brown sugar have melted into the sauce, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine coleslaw ingredients and toss until well mixed.
- If desired, lightly toast your sandwich rolls in the oven. Top with BBQ chicken, warmed BBQ sauce, and coleslaw.
BBQ Sauce Adapted From Epicurious
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive small commission if you make a purchase using one of them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.