This creamy Keto Chicken Soup, AKA Low-carb Chicken and “Rice” Soup is pure comfort food and so fast and easy to throw together. If you have shredded chicken on hand, this soup will take you less than 15 minutes to make.
Hey, friends, I’m switching things up a little today and sharing one of my favorite keto recipes: Creamy Keto Chicken and Rice Soup, the rice being cauliflower rice of course.
This is pure comfort food, so rich and creamy and satisfying, it’s exactly the sort of thing you want to curl up on the couch with when the evenings are chilly.
And best of all, it’s easy and FAST to make.
If you have cooked chicken on hand and some cauliflower rice (store-bought or homemade), this soup will take you less than 15 minutes to throw together, and that includes prep time.
How to Make Keto Chicken Soup
To make this soup, you just brown a little garlic in butter, toss with shredded chicken and cream cheese, and simmer for a couple minutes with chicken broth, cream, and some spices. Stir in some cooked cauliflower rice, heat through, and that’s it. It’s hardly even cooking, more like combining. 😉
This recipe makes about four cups of soup, two really big servings of Keto Chicken Soup or three smaller ones and comes in at 5 net carbs. Leftovers reheat really well if you’re making it for one, and if you’re feeding someone who doesn’t eat keto, it’s so rich and creamy that it’s very non-keto eater friendly.
Keto Chicken Soup Recipe Tips
- If you don’t have shredded chicken on hand, I’ve included instructions for cooking shredded chicken below the recipe, or see my post How to Cook Shredded Chicken for step-by-step photos.
- If you don’t want the cauliflower carbs, you can omit the cauliflower rice, and the soup is still delicious.
- Looking for more keto-friendly recipes? Try my Bacon and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast, Keto Fried Rice, and Keto Chicken in Cream Sauce.
Keto Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons (1oz) butter
- 2 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 2 cups shredded chicken 2 small/1 large chicken breast
- 4 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 2 cups (1 14.5oz can) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes optional
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder optional
- 1 1/2 cup cauliflower rice cooked
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until lightly golden, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and stir until coated in butter.
- Add cubed cream cheese and stir until cream cheese melts and coats the chicken.
- Add broth, heavy cream, parsley, and onion powder. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and turn stove down so soup is just at a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until slightly reduced. Stir in cooked cauliflower rice and salt to taste. If your cauliflower was cold, heat soup over medium until hot.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Adapted From Ketogasm
How to Cook Shredded Chicken
- Cooking spray or your favorite cooking oil
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Between two sheets of plastic wrap or in a disposable plastic bag, pound chicken just to a mostly even thickness with a meat mallet (smooth side), rolling pin, or empty wine bottle. If your chicken is already fairly even, you can skip this step. Lightly salt and pepper both sides of the chicken.
- Heat a skillet (with a lid) over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or drizzle on a bit of your favorite cooking oil. Once hot, add chicken to the pan and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip and repeat. Once browned, add about 1/2 inch of water to the pan, cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes (longer if breasts are large), until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the breasts reads 165°F.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Once cooled, transfer chicken breasts to your stand mixer. With the paddle attachment, set mixer to low, working up to medium, and process chicken until mostly shredded. Don't over process--there will be a couple larger pieces you will need to finish pulling apart by hand.
- Wash up and use your moist, shredded chicken in something delicious.