Microwave carrots are one of the quickest and easiest ways to add some veggies to your plate. The bright and sweet combo of steamed carrots with a tab of butter and sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper is total comfort food and absolutely worth the (extremely minimal) prep.
I have another quick and easy steamed vegetable recipe for you today: microwave carrots!
Microwave Carrots: The Easiest Way to Cook Carrots
This might not seem like the most glamorous way to cook your carrots, but friend, if you’re short on time, it is one of the quickest and easiest ways to get some veggies on your plate.
And bonus: cooking carrots this way is actually really delicious. The bright and sweet combo of the steamed carrots with a tab of butter and sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper is total comfort food, and absolutely worth the (extremely minimal) prep.
How to Steam Carrots in the Microwave
To make carrots in the microwave, you’ll just need carrots, water, butter, and salt and pepper.
1. Peel your carrots and chop them into bite-size pieces.
2. Place them in a microwave-safe bowl and add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover bowl with a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 3 minutes.
Let carrots sit for one minute before removing the plate, being very careful as steam trapped inside the bowl will be hot. You might want to use a towel or oven mitt to remove it.
Check your carrots for doneness. If they’re still a little too crisp for your liking, re-cover and put them in for another minute, again, being very careful when you remove the lid.
3. Once the carrots are cooked to your preference, pour off any leftover water and add butter to the bowl. Stir it around until melted, sprinkle with salt, add pepper, and plate!
Wait, I like my carrots sweet!
If you’re a fan of sweet carrots, not a problem. You can also add a drizzle of honey or maple syrup alongside the melted butter or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar to taste.
More Microwaved Vegetable Recipes
Carrots aren’t the only veggie you can steam in the microwave. Try out these as well:
- This recipe as written serves one but doubles or triples with no changes necessary.
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped 1/2-inch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoon salted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Place carrots and water in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Top with a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 3 minutes. Allow to sit for 1 minute. Very carefully remove plate (steam will be hot!) check carrots for doneness, and if necessary cook for 1 minute more with 1 minute rest.
- Drain excess water and add butter. Toss until butter is melted and carrots are coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!