How to make a microwave sweet potato. This is the quickest, easiest way to cook sweet potatoes at home.
Microwaved sweet potatoes are incredibly versatile. Serve them as a quick and easy side dish, load them up with toppings for a filling dinner or add butter and cinnamon sugar and they make a sweet and cozy breakfast.
Since I know some of you popped in from search just looking for this information, here you go:
How long to microwave a sweet potato?
- After poking holes in a medium sweet potato, cook for 2 1/2 minutes per side.
- For each additional sweet potato being cooked at the same time, add 1 minute per side.
For everyone else, let’s chat a little more about sweet potatoes…
Choosing Sweet Potatoes
When choosing sweet potatoes at the store, select ones that are firm, without blemishes or soft or wrinkled spots. If you plan on cooking more than one sweet potato at a time, try to pick ones that are roughly the same size so they cook in the same amount of time.
Store sweet potatoes in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) away from apples and onions.
How to Prep Sweet Potatoes for Cooking
Scrub and dry your sweet potato. Then take a fork and pierce it on all sides, 5 or 6 times total. This will allow steam to escape while the potato cooks and prevent it from exploding in your microwave.
How to Cook a Sweet Potato in the Microwave
- Once sweet potato is prepped, place it in your microwave and cook for 2 1/2 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 2 1/2 minutes.
- Use a knife or fork to poke into the sweet potato and test for doneness. If still under-done, continue to microwave the sweet potato in 30-second increments until tender.
- Allow the sweet potato to sit for 2 minutes before cutting it open.
Can you microwave more than one sweet potato at a time?
Yes! To microwave more than one sweet potato at a time, arrange them in the microwave so they are not touching and add 1 minute per potato per side.
- For 2 sweet potatoes microwave: 3 1/2 minutes per side
- For 3 sweet potatoes microwave: 4 1/2 minutes per side
Can you eat the skin of a sweet potato?
Yes, you can eat the skin of a sweet potato! Just like regular potatoes, the skin of a sweet potato is edible and it is packed full of vitamins and antioxidants.
Is it bad to cook a sweet potato in the microwave?
No, it’s not bad to cook sweet potatoes in the microwave. Some people worry that cooking food in the microwave destroys all its nutrients, but this is simply not true.
According to the USDA, microwaves “generally do not destroy nutrients in food” and in fact microwaved foods retain more water-soluble vitamins than foods cooked using other cooking methods. So not only is cooking sweet potatoes in the microwave the fastest and easiest cooking method, but it’s one of the healthiest too.
What’s the difference between a sweet potato and a yam?
I went more in-depth on this topic in my roasted sweet potatoes post, but here’s a quick summary. True yams and sweet potatoes are completely unrelated plant species, but here in the US, we frequently label sweet potatoes as yams in the grocery store.
True yams are native to Africa, Asia, and parts of South America and the Caribbean, and have rough, bark-like skin. They are uncommon in large US grocery stores.
Sweet potatoes have smoother skin and sweeter flesh. If you’re buying it in a US chain grocery store, you’re almost certainly buying a sweet potato even if it’s labeled “yam.”
What to serve with microwave sweet potatoes?
Serve microwave sweet potatoes on their own with butter and salt and pepper as a side for things like:
More Easy Microwave Recipes
- How to Steam Broccoli in the Microwave
- How to Cook Corn in the Microwave
- How to Steam Green Beans in the Microwave
- How to Steam Cauliflower in the Microwave
- How to Steam Carrots in the Microwave
- Microwave Mashed Potatoes
How to Make a Microwave Sweet Potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper
- Scrub and dry your sweet potato and then pierce it on all sides with a fork, 5 or 6 times total.
- Place the potato in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Carefully (the potato will be hot) flip the sweet potato over and microwave for an additional 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Use a knife to pierce the sweet potato to check for doneness. It should slide in smoothly without any resistance. If potato is still undercooked, continue to microwave in 30 second increments until softened.
- Allow the cooked potato to rest for 2 minutes before slicing open.
- Top with toppings of your choosing and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.