This Baileys hot chocolate is smooth and creamy classic hot chocolate with a delicious boozy twist.
Baileys hot chocolate is the perfect cozy drink for a night in. This recipe makes just one cup, so you can sip it on a solo evening, or double the recipe to share.
It’s easy, creamy, and will warm you right up on a chilly evening.
- Sugar, cocoa powder, and water: Instead of using hot chocolate mix or syrup, we’ll make our own chocolate syrup with just these three ingredients.
- Chopped chocolate: You can make hot chocolate without using real chocolate, but adding just a bit makes everything that much better. High-quality chips work too, but make sure you melt them really well because the stabilizers in the chocolate don’t like to fully melt.
- Milk: Any percentage milk works. The higher fat, the creamier your hot chocolate will be. For the most decadent hot chocolate, replace part of the milk with a little half and half or heavy cream.
- Baileys: Or your Irish cream liqueur of choice.
How to Make Baileys Hot Chocolate
- Make a simple chocolate syrup by stirring together sugar and cocoa powder, adding water, and whisking it together in a small pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the chocolate and heat until chocolate is fully melted. Keep the temperature low and make sure all the chocolate has melted into the sauce before adding the milk or you’ll have a hard time getting it to melt later.
- Turn heat up to medium, add the milk and heat, whisking often, until steaming. Do not allow it to come to a boil as the milk can curdle.
- Remove from heat and stir in Baileys. Top with whipped cream and fudge sauce if desired, and enjoy!
Can I make this in the microwave?
Yes. To make your hot chocolate in the microwave, stir together sugar and cocoa powder in a mug and then stir in water. Microwave for 15 seconds and stir until everything is well mixed. Add the chocolate and heat in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until chocolate has melted into the sauce. Add milk and microwave for about a minute or until steaming.
Watch closely to make sure the milk does not get too hot and bubble over. Stir in the Baileys and you’re good to go!
What can I use instead of Baileys?
If you don’t have Baileys, you can use any brand of Irish cream liqueur. Kahlua or other coffee liqueurs would also be delicious!
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
- Classic Hot Chocolate
- Rich and Thick Hot Chocolate
- Pink Hot Chocolate
- White Hot Chocolate
- Chai White Hot Chocolate
- Snickerdoodle Hot Chocolate
Baileys Hot Chocolate
- 1 tablespoon (12g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (5g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate high quality chips are fine
- 3/4 cup milk any percentage
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) Baileys or any Irish cream liqueur
- Whipped cream optional for topping
- Fudge sauce optional for topping
- In a small pot, stir together sugar and cocoa powder. Add water and heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until well mixed. Add chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Slowly whisk in milk and heat until steaming. Do not let mixture come to a simmer!
- Remove from heat and stir in the Bailey’s. Pour into an 8-ounce mug, top with whipped cream and chocolate sauce if desired, and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.
I love this recipe and so do the friends I’ve made it for.
So glad to hear it!!