This fun and easy homemade Magic Chocolate Shell (magically) hardens into a brittle candy shell when it’s poured over ice cream.
Today, on this hot, hot Tuesday, I have another single-serve ice cream topping recipe for you.
And in case you’re new around here, in this single-serve ice cream topping category already, we have:
And now, Magic Chocolate Shell.
It’s Magic! (Chocolate Shell)
If you’ve never had magic chocolate shell before, it’s a chocolate topping that (magically) hardens into a brittle candy shell when it’s poured over ice cream.
The chocolate has an incredibly satisfying snap when you break or bite into it, and it’s kind of like eating a chocolate-covered ice cream bar in a bowl.
An Easy Peasy Dessert Topping
The great thing about chocolate shell topping is that it’s one of the easiest ice cream toppings you can make. You just need a microwave and two ingredients, chopped chocolate (or high-quality chocolate chips) and coconut oil.
How to Make Magic Chocolate Shell Topping
1. Combine chocolate and coconut oil in a small bowl and microwave for 15 to 30 seconds, until chocolate is melty. Stir until completely smooth.
2. Then pour over ice cream and give it a minute to harden. Crack into the shell and enjoy!
A Note on Coconut Oil
Chocolate Shell Recipe Notes
- If you want to add some color or a different sort of crunch to your ice cream shell, add sprinkles, candy pieces, or crushed Oreos over the shell before it hardens.
- This recipe makes one very (very) generous serving or two smaller servings.
- No changes are necessary to double or triple this recipe.
- For more summer dessert posts try How to Make a Milkshake, Frozen Hot Chocolate, or Homemade Pudding Pops
Magic Chocolate Shell (One or Two Servings)
- 1/4 cup (1.5oz) chopped semi-sweet, bitter sweet, or milk chocolate high-quality chips are fine
- 2 teaspoons refined coconut oil
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and oil. Microwave in 15-second increments, stirring well after each, until chocolate is smooth and pourable.
- Pour over ice cream and allow a minute or two for it to harden completely. Serve and enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.