This fun and easy homemade Magic Chocolate Shell (magically) hardens into a brittle candy shell when it’s poured over ice cream.
Today, I have another very fun, very easy single-serve ice cream topping recipe for you.
And in case you’re new around here, in this single-serve ice cream topping category already, we have:
And now, Magic Chocolate Shell.
What’s magic chocolate shell?
If you’ve never had magic chocolate shell before, it’s a chocolate topping that (magically) hardens into a brittle candy shell when it’s poured over ice cream.
The chocolate has an incredibly satisfying snap when you break or bite into it, and it’s kind of like eating a chocolate-covered ice cream bar in a bowl.
The great thing about chocolate shell topping is that it’s one of the easiest ice cream toppings you can make. You just need a microwave and two ingredients, chopped chocolate (or high-quality chocolate chips) and coconut oil.
How does chocolate shell work?
Chocolate shell works because of the coconut oil in the syrup. Above 76°F coconut oil is liquid and pourable, so when heated with chocolate, it creates a smooth, pourable chocolate sauce. Below that temperature however, coconut oil is solid. So when the warm syrup hits freezing cold ice cream, it almost immediately solidifies, creating a hard candy shell.
- Coconut Oil: You can use either refined or unrefined coconut oil in this recipe with great results. But unrefined coconut oil will give your chocolate shell a noticeable coconut flavor.
- Chocolate: Chopped chocolate or high-quality chips will both work just fine for this recipe.
How to Make Magic Chocolate Shell Topping
1. Combine chocolate and coconut oil in a small bowl and microwave for 15 to 30 seconds, until chocolate is melty. Stir until completely smooth.
2. Then pour over ice cream and give it a minute to harden. Crack into the shell and enjoy!
- If you want to add some color or a different sort of crunch to your ice cream shell, add sprinkles, candy pieces, or crushed Oreos over the shell before it hardens. The coating will harden almost immediately, so have any toppings you want to add ready to go and sprinkle them over the shell as soon as you finish pouring it over the ice cream.
How many servings does this make?
This recipe makes one very (very) generous serving or two smaller servings.
Can I double this recipe?
Absolutely. No changes are necessary to double or triple the recipe. To change the recipe yield, hover over the serving size in the recipe card below or click if you’re on mobile, and slide the slider.
Can I make this in advance?
Yes. Chocolate shell can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
More Warm-weather Treats
Magic Chocolate Shell (One or Two Servings)
- 1/4 cup (1.5oz) chopped semi-sweet, bitter sweet, or milk chocolate high-quality chips are fine
- 2 teaspoons refined coconut oil
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and oil. Microwave in 15-second increments, stirring well after each, until chocolate is smooth and pourable.
- Pour over ice cream and allow a minute or two for it to harden completely. Serve and enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.