This Small-batch Giant Christmas Cookies recipe makes six perfect and sprinkle-covered sugar cookies.
Happy Tuesday, everyone! How were your Thanksgivings and Black Fridays? Was your turkey excellent? Did you buy anything fun?
I spent Thanksgiving with the people in this world I’m most thankful for and skipped shopping on Friday to go see Moana with the family, so mine were both A++.
And now that Thanksgiving is over, that means we are squarely in Christmas territory! I already started posting Christmas recipes last week with my Small-batch Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream, but this week we are really kicking things off with some small-batch Christmas cookies!
This week and next, I’ll be posting some small-batch Christmas cookies for those of us who aren’t baking for a crowd this holiday season. Each of these recipes makes just half a dozen, which is just perfect for you and Santa. 🙂
First up Small-batch Giant Christmas Cookies, and oh man, my taste testers went crazy over these (and I’m pretty fond of them too).
The base ingredients are nearly identical to my Chai Sugar Cookies With Eggnog Glaze, but by changing the way they are mixed, you get a completely different cookie.
For this recipe, all the wet ingredients and the sugar get creamed so they are nice and smooth before you add in the flour and other dry ingredients. This means that the cookie comes out of the oven with a craggy texture and slightly crunchy exterior that just melts in your mouth when you bite into it.
Add the extra crunch of sugary sprinkles, and these are the ultimate Christmas sugar cookie experience!
More Cozy Recipes
Small-batch Giant Christmas Cookies Notes
- Chilling time is not optional. If you don’t chill your dough, you will have cookie puddles, not cookies!
- Make sure to space the cookies out as far as you can. These are big cookies, and they spread when baked.
Small-batch Giant Christmas Cookie
- 1/4 cup (2oz) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour measured by weight or using the spoon and sweep method*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Sprinkles for rolling
- In a medium bowl, cream butter, oil, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla, and egg yolk until completely incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add flour, baking soda, cream of tarter, and salt and mix until just combined. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours, up to 24, until dough is firm enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Divide dough into 6 evenly sized balls. Roll in sprinkles and place on prepared baking sheet spaced evenly apart. Gently press dough so it is slightly flattened, about 3/4 inch. Bake for 11 to 14 minutes until cookies look set. Cool completely on baking sheet.