How to make a great milkshake without a blender. You’ll just need ice cream, milk, a mason jar, and a microwave…
Hey, friend, here today because you’re craving a milkshake and don’t have a blender (or don’t want to have to wash a blender)? You’re in the right place.
No Blender, No Problem
It’s actually really easy to make a great milkshake without a blender. You’ll just need ice cream, milk, a mason jar, and a microwave.
See Also: How to Make a Milkshake
And real talk, a milkshake made by hand will never be as thick and frosty as one made with a high-powered blender, but this is still going to be a fabulous shake that will absolutely satisfy all those milkshake cravings.
How to Make a Milkshake Without a Blender
1. Start by placing your ice cream in a large, microwave-safe jar, like a quart-size mason jar. Microwave the ice cream until it begins to melt and you can easily squish it with a spoon. (Note: The ice cream in the first photo has NOT been microwaved yet. You’ll want it more melty than that.)
2. After your ice cream is softened, you’ll add your milk and any mix-ins (scroll down for my favorite mix-in ideas).
3. Place a lid on the jar and shake vigorously until well-mixed. When making milkshakes with this method, you almost always end up with a couple stubborn bits of ice cream that won’t mix by shaking. Take a long spoon and stir them into the shake, mashing them against the edges of the jar to help them mix.
4. And that’s it, pour your shake into a glass, top with whipped cream, and enjoy!
The Best Milkshakes to Make Without a Blender
The best milkshakes to make without a blender are shakes using mix-ins that don’t need to be blended, like syrups or extracts, or ingredients that can be chopped or smashed by hand, like candies and cookies.
Fruit shakes with real fruit are difficult to make by hand unless you want to do some serious mashing with a potato masher.
Some good milkshakes to make without a blender:
- Chocolate Milkshake: Add 3 tablespoons of chocolate or fudge sauce.
- Oreo Milkshake: Smash 3 to 4 Oreo cookies in a plastic bag with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy glass and add crumbs to the shake.
- Candy Milkshake: Finely chop about 3 tablespoons of chocolate candies and add pieces to the shake.
For more microwave dessert recipes, try Nutella Sauce and Peanut Butter Sauce.
How to Make a Milkshake Without a Blender
- 1 1/2 cups ice cream about 3 scoops, any flavor
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk any percentage
- Whipped cream optional for topping
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons caramel, butterscotch, or dulce de leche
- 3 to 4 Oreos finely crushed
- 3 tablespoons chocolate candy finely chopped
- Place ice cream in a large, microwave-safe jar. Microwave the ice cream until it begins to melt and you can easily squish it with a spoon, 15 to 30 seconds.
- After your ice cream is softened, add milk and any mix-ins.
- Place lid on the jar and shake vigorously until well-mixed. Take a long spoon and stir any remaining bits of ice cream into the shake, mashing them against the edges of the jar to help them mix.
- Pour shake into a glass, top with whipped cream, and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.
Luna Regina says
Brilliant idea!! Well to be honest, I always feel kind of lazy to wash the blender after I blend something 😀 Hope you’re having a great day, Tracy, keep up the awesome work! 😀
Right!? Sometimes I make them this way just to avoid the clean up. 😉
lol me too
I loved this recipe so much! It was so easy to follow and not expensive at all to make, I have always wanted a blender for this kind of thing and now I don’t need one and I am so happy with how it turned out, thanks x
Thank you, Freija! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!
10/10! I don’t have a blender and this turned out amazing!
So happy to hear it!
Desiree Hillyer says
Just wanted to know does it come out cold and chunky like a regular milkshake made with a blender?
It will still be cold but not as thick and frosty as one made with a blender.
Rayan - Winophone says
Well, I didn’t even know that you can make a milkshake by hand! I always had to swing by the shop to get it, since it I don’t have a blender and thought that It’s an essential part. I’ll make sure to try it, thanks