This single-serve rice krispie treat you can make in the microwave is insanely easy to throw together and just as good as the ones you remember from childhood.
I have a few microwave recipes on the site (Broccoli in the Microwave, Green Beans in the Microwave, and Cauliflower in the Microwave) and judging by their popularity, you guys really seem to like them.
So I have another microwave recipe for you today, but this one’s a little more dangerous than broccoli, a Single-serve Rice Krispie Treat in the Microwave.
I apologize in advance if you find yourself making this way too often because it’s insanely easy to make and just as good as the ones you remember from childhood.
How to make a Single-serve Rice Krispie Treat in the Microwave
To start, you’ll need a microwave-safe bowl or over-sized mug.
This is not going to make a 12-ounce rice krispie treat, not even close, but your marshmallows are going to expand a lot when you microwave them, and you want room to stir in cereal.
So go big or clean up a mess later.
Put a third of a cup of marshmallows in the mug with about a half a tablespoon of butter (that’s 1 1/2 teaspoons or better, 7 grams if you have a kitchen scale) it doesn’t need to be exact. Just eyeball it and go light on the butter rather than heavy.
Then just microwave everything until the marshmallows puff way up, about 20 to 30 seconds. Stir until the marshmallows and butter form a mostly uniform goo at the bottom of your cup and then add your cereal and stir to coat.
If you like gooey rice krispies treats, you can eat it just like this, with a spoon.
OR scrape the cereal out onto a sheet of parchment paper and shape into a bar.
This is sticky work, so use a couple of butter knives to do the job or fold the edges of the parchment paper up to squeeze the cereal into a nice rectangle.
Then just let it sit until the marshmallows set (or for as long as you can stand it), maybe top with some festive sprinkles, and enjoy.
Rice Krispie Treat Recipe Notes
- This recipe will work for almost any kind of kiddie cereal. I *highly* recommend giving it a try with Fruit Loops.
- If you are craving a cereal bar but don’t usually keep cereal around the house, they sell single-serving containers of cereal at most grocery and convenience stores. You can get 2 to 3 bars out of them.
- Looking for more microwave desserts? Try 30-second Chocolate Sauce, Peanut Butter Sauce, and Nutella Sauce.
- This recipe scales easily and doubles or triples with no preparation changes needed.
Single-serve Rice Krispie Treat in the Microwave
- Parchment paper optional
Rice Krispie Treat
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows *
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup Rice Krispies cereal or any cereal you prefer
- In an over-sized mug or microwave-safe bowl, combine marshmallows and butter. Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds, until marshmallows are puffed up and melty.
- Stir until marshmallows and butter are mixed. Add cereal and stir until completely coated.
- Enjoy warm out of the mug or scoop mixture out onto a piece of parchment paper. Shape cereal into a bar by folding up the edges of the paper or using two knives to squish the mixture into shape. Allow to set and enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.