These Small-batch Orange Muffins are like sweet little bits of sunshine baked up just to brighten your day. They’re soft, sweet, and super moist with a crunchy orange glaze on top.
Hey, folks. I hope you’re having a lovely Saturday. I sat down to write a lengthy post about how much I love today’s recipe, these cute little Small-batch Orange Muffins, but the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and there’s a new book sitting next to me calling my name, so I’m keeping it pretty short and sweet today.
And really, who wants to be reading about muffins when you could be making them? These muffins are like sweet little bits of sunshine baked up just to brighten your day. They’re soft, sweet, and super moist with a crunchy orange glaze on top. And this recipe makes just five muffins so nothing goes to waste.
But do you want to know the best part about these Orange Muffins?
They’re intensely and wonderfully orange flavored without having to run out and buy orange extract or artificial flavorings. The muffins get their orange kick from orange juice and zest in the batter and glaze. So if you have an orange on the counter and some sour cream in the fridge, you probably have the ingredients to make them right now.
See Also: Small Lemon Pound Cakes
Which you should, because they’re great.
Small-batch Orange Muffins
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (105g) all-purpose flour measured by weight or the spoon and sweep method*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (2oz) unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice *
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoon orange zest very lightly packed
- 1/3 cup (40g) powdered sugar sifted if lumpy
- 2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest very lightly packed
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and line your muffin pan with 5 paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, sugar, milk, orange juice, sour cream, egg white, and orange zest, and whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Divide batter between 5 prepared muffin cups and bake at 425°F for 8 minutes. Turn the temperature down to 350°F and bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out with just a few dry crumbs. Allow muffins to cool in the baking pan until cool enough to handle before transferring to a cooling rack and glazing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons of the orange juice, and orange zest until glaze is smooth. Add up to 1 teaspoon more of orange juice if mixture is too thick to drizzle and spoon glaze over the warm muffins. Allow glaze to set for 10 to 15 minutes and enjoy!
Adapted from Annie’s Eats
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.