These perfectly delicious Small-batch Banana Muffins can be made with one banana, one bowl, and half an hour.
Hey, Friends, we’re almost through the first week of 2017. How is your new year going so far? Mine has been
disappointingly delightfully healthy and exhaustingly wonderfully productive. Can January be over soon? I love starting a new year! 😉
I have two questions for you today:
Do you have one sad browning banana sitting on your counter?
Do you have a bowl and basic kitchen staples?
Yes and yes? Then you can and absolutely should make these Small-batch Banana Muffins (or if you feel like chocolate, try these Small-batch Chocolate Banana Muffins)!
I’m all about recipes that solve problems, and this recipe solves two. It gets rid of that piece of fruit rotting on your counter and makes sure you won’t overindulge in a sweet treat because it only makes four muffins.
That’s right, just four perfect little moist and delicious banana muffins.
And they are so fast and easy to make. They literally go from banana-on-the-counter to in-the-oven in 5 minutes, because you just mash a banana, mix everything in one bowl, scoop into a muffin pan, and bake.
They come out of the oven so moist and soft and good. It’s the perfect impromptu baking project for a lazy Sunday morning or rainy afternoon.
I guarantee you, I’ll be making this recipe a ton in the next few months. Who’s with me?
March 2017 Update: I just created a recipe video for these (see above) and threw in some chocolate chips since it’s not healthy January anymore. With or without chocolate chips, these are some seriously yummy muffins, and I’m still obsessed with them.
Small-batch Banana Recipe Notes
- If you’d like to add a crumble topping to the banana muffins, try the crumble topping from my Small-batch Apple Crumb Muffins.
- Have TWO sad brown bananas? Make a double batch of muffins (no preparation changes needed) or make a batch of muffins AND some Banana Pancakes for Two.
One Banana, One Bowl Small-batch Banana Muffins
- 1 large very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with four liners (or grease).
- In a medium bowl, completely mash banana with a potato masher or fork. Add sugar, egg white, and oil. Stir with a spoon until just combined (mixture will still be lumpy).
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until just combined. If desired, stir in optional chocolate chips.
- Divide mixture between the four prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out mostly clean and the tops of the muffins begin to turn golden.
- Cool in the pan until cool enough to handle before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.