How to cook Asparagus in the Oven, one of my favorite quick and easy dinner side dishes.
Hey, friends, popping in today with a super quick and simple vegetable side dish for you. Asparagus in the oven AKA roasted asparagus.
This is one of my favorite easy, no-fuss side dishes, AND it’s the first vegetable I ever learned to cook as a kid.
See Also: Broccoli in the Oven
Now that it’s asparagus season here in California, it seemed like the perfect time to post this recipe.
How to Make Asparagus in the Oven
Start with washed and dried asparagus and trim off the tough woody end of the stem, usually a couple inches from the bottom.
If you’ve never worked with asparagus before, and you’re not sure what that looks like, take a single spear, and bend the bottom third until it snaps. The place where it snaps should be just above the woody end.
1. Place asparagus on a baking sheet in a single layer and drizzle with olive oil. Shake the pan a few times so the asparagus rolls around and gets coated on all sides.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you like lemon, you can also add a squeeze of lemon juice. Feeling cheesy, sprinkle with a handful of shredded parmesan.
3. Bake at 425°F for 8 to 15 minutes (cooking time can differ quite a bit depending on asparagus size), until asparagus is tender but not mushy.
4. Serve and enjoy!
And before you go, I have one more tip for you:
How to Store Asparagus
Right when you get home from the grocery store, trim about a half inch off the very bottom of the asparagus spears like you would a bouquet of flowers.
Place spears in the water and loosely cover the top of the asparagus with a bread bag. You can also use the produce bag you brought the asparagus home in (if it’s damp, turn it inside out). Store in the refrigerator.
Asparagus will stay fresh for 3 to 4 days, 5 if it was really fresh when you bought it.
Asparagus in the Oven Recipe Notes
- Some of my favorite recipes to serve with roasted asparagus are Salsa Chicken, Tri-tip, and Country-style Pork Ribs.
- For more no-fail vegetable sides, try Butter and Garlic Green Beans, Roasted Green Beans, Quick Microwave-steamed Broccoli, and Oven-roasted Butternut Squash.
Asparagus in the Oven (Roasted Asparagus)
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) asparagus washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Trim or snap woody ends from asparagus spears and dry well. Place in a single layer on your baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and shake the tray a couple times to coat the asparagus.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 8 to 15 minutes, until asparagus is tender crisp. Serve and enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.