This BBQ Chicken Pizza is made with cubed or shredded chicken tossed with sweet and smoky barbecue sauce, sliced red onions, and a combo of mozzarella, smoked gouda, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
It’s been a bit since I last shared a pizza recipe with you (I think it was Naan Pizza last March!). Let’s fix that and make something a little fun and different today: BBQ Chicken Pizza.
Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
If you’ve never tried BBQ Chicken Pizza before, you absolutely should because it’s is a total treat. Cubed or shredded chicken tossed with sweet and smoky BBQ sauce, sliced red onions, and topped with a combo of mozzarella, smoked gouda, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Or you can grab a rotisserie chicken and pre-made pizza crust at the store when you pick up the rest of your ingredients for a super easy weeknight dinner.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Pizza
To make the pizza, you’ll pre-season your cooked chicken with salt and pepper and toss it with a little BBQ sauce so it’s well-coated. Then you’ll just assemble the pizza.
Spread BBQ sauce over the pizza crust and layer on the rest of the ingredients (minus the cilantro). Once that’s done, it goes into the oven and comes out gooey, beautiful, and delicious.
Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro and dig in!
More Pizza Toppings
The ingredients I’ve included in the recipe are the standard ones you’ll find for most barbecue pizzas, but like any pizza, you can really make this your own with a variety of toppings. Try:
- Pineapple (my favorite)
- Sliced jalapeños or banana peppers
- Blue cheese
Pizza Crust Alternatives
No pizza crust? No problem. Try it with one of these crust alternatives:
- French bread: (Makes 1 loaf, sliced into halves) Bake assembled pizzas at 400°F for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Naan: (Makes 2-3 naan pizzas) Bake assembled pizzas at 400°F for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Tortillas: (Makes about 4 taco-size, 2 burrito-size pizzas) Bake assembled pizzas at 425°F for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Cauliflower Pizza: Bake assembled pizza according to package or crust recipe instructions.
More Easy Weeknight Meals
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 medium-to-large pizza crust unbaked
- 1 cup (8oz) chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons thick and sweet barbecue sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup (3oz) shredded smoked gouda cheese divided
- 3/4 cup (3oz) shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- Chopped fresh cilantro for topping*
- Ranch optional for dipping
- Preheat oven according to crust package or pizza crust recipe instructions.
- In a bowl, toss cooked chicken with 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Brush unbaked pizza crust with a light layer of olive oil and transfer crust to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Spread remaining 1/3 cup of barbecue sauce over the crust, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Top crust with half of the gouda and mozzarella cheese, followed by the prepared chicken and red onion. Sprinkle remaining gouda and mozzarella over the top and bake pizza according to crust package or pizza crust recipe instructions.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, slice, serve with ranch if desired, and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.