This Iced Caramel Macchiato is perfect for summer and made with a quick homemade caramel sauce that is super easy to throw together.
Hey, friends. I’m back with one more iced coffee recipe for you. So far this summer, we’ve done an Iced Mocha and Iced White Chocolate Mocha. Today’s recipe is the last of the bunch I had planned, and I saved a good one for you: Iced Caramel Macchiato.
Iced Caramel Macchiato with Quick Homemade Caramel
The hot Caramel Macchiato recipe that’s on the site is a reader favorite. It’s been pinned nearly 40k times and always gets rave reviews.
This iced version is just as good, is perfect for warmer weather, and is made with a quick homemade caramel that is super easy to whip up.
How to Make an Iced Caramel Macchiato
1. This recipe starts with a quick shortcut version of caramel sauce. To make it, you’ll simmer butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and a bit of salt together for 4-5 minutes, until you get a smooth and sweet sauce that you’ll want to eat with a spoon.
Or, if you have caramel sauce in your fridge, you can skip this step and use what you already have on hand.
2. Next, you’ll heat a bit of coffee with a spoonful of the caramel and sugar and then add in heavy cream.
3. And finally, pour cold coffee over ice and then add in the caramel and cream mixture. Be sure to take a moment to appreciate the caramel and cream swirls and then stir it all together. Top with whipped cream and a little more of the caramel sauce, and enjoy.
Make it a Caramel Macchiato Frappuccino
This recipe is also easy to turn into a Caramel Macchiato Frappe. Double the sugar when making the macchiato since blending it with ice will dilute the sweetness of the drink. And then blend with ice instead of pouring over.
Iced Caramel Macchiato Recipe Notes
- This recipe will make more caramel than you need for a single drink, a little less than 1/2 cup or enough for about 4 coffees. You can store it in an airtight container in the fridge and use it for future macchiatos or a milkshake, use it for dipping shortbread, or drizzle it over anything really. 😉
- If you have leftover cream, check out my post What to Do With Leftover Whipping Cream for ideas on using up the leftovers.
Iced Caramel Macchiato
- 2 tablespoons (1oz) butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (50g) packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cold strong black coffee divided
- 1 tablespoon (12g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup ice
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream*
- Whipped cream optional
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add heavy cream, brown sugar, and salt.
- Bring to a low simmer. Once at a simmer, cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened (mixture will thicken further as it cools).
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and transfer caramel to a mason jar or other airtight container for storage.
- In a small pot, combine 1 tablespoon of the prepared caramel, sugar, and 1/4 cup of the coffee. Heat over medium heat until sugar and caramel completely dissolve and coffee mixture is smooth and uniform in color. Remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream.
- Add ice to a 16-ounce cup, and pour in remaining 3/4 cup of cold coffee followed by the caramel mixture and stir. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with more caramel sauce if desired. Serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.