This easy Chicken Fajita Salad with quick homemade dressing is packed with a ton of flavor and textures and is incredibly satisfying and filling.
Hey, friend, if your salad game is feeling a little stale, I have just the recipe to make you get excited about salads again: Chicken Fajita Salad.
Chicken Fajitas…As Salad
This recipe is my classic Chicken Fajitas (already a total delight on their own) served up over a bed of crisp romaine with diced avocado and tomatoes and topped with a creamy homemade Southwestern dressing.
It makes for a salad that is packed with a ton of flavor and textures and one that is incredibly satisfying and filling.
Quick Homemade Dressing
If you have a Southwestern-style dressing in your fridge, feel free to use it, but if not, I think you’re really going to like this one. It’s creamy, tangy, and best of all, SO quick and easy.
The ingredient list is just four items long, and all you have to do is throw those ingredients in a bowl, mix them together, and then drizzle away.
Meal Prep Salads
And for those of you who like to meal prep your lunches for the week, I highly recommend giving this salad a try. If you don’t have access to a microwave at work, the salad is really good cold. You can just pack everything (except the dressing) together in one container and go.
If you like to heat up your meat and fajita veggies before eating, pack the lettuce and tomatoes in one container and meat and peppers in a second microwave-safe container so you can pop them in the microwave before eating.
More Easy Salad Recipes
- This recipe calls for chicken thighs, but if you want to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, go for it. Season them as described in the recipe, but use the cooking method from my How to Cook Chicken Breasts for Salads and Sandwiches post, because cooking chicken breasts on the stove requires a slightly different cooking method to get the best results.
Chicken Fajita Salad
- 4 large or 8 small boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Taco or fajita seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 2 bell peppers any color, sliced
- 1/2 large onion sliced
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons milk plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons (26g) mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon taco or fajita seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes or tomatoes of your choosing
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with taco/fajita seasoning until lightly coated on all sides.
- On the stove, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken thighs and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. If at any time the outside of the chicken begins to cook too quickly and starts to burn, turn the heat down. Once chicken is finished cooking, transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- While your meat cooks, in a second large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add bell pepper and onion slices. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of taco seasoning over the top. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 8 minutes, until edges are lightly browned and vegetables are tender-crisp. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For softer vegetables, turn heat down to medium once the vegetables begin to brown so they don’t burn, and continue to cook until vegetables reach your desired level of doneness. For very soft vegetables, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan at this point, and cook until veggies are soft and water has evaporated, adding more water as necessary.
- Slice cooked chicken thighs into strips or cubes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together first four dressing ingredients and add salt and pepper to taste. If dressing is too thick, add more milk by the 1/2 teaspoon until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Divide lettuce between bowls and top with salad toppings. Pour dressing over the top and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.