This fabulous creamy homemade cheese sauce is one of the quickest, easiest sauces to make and perfect for dipping broccoli and other veggies or drizzling over baked potatoes, nachos, or french fries.
January is almost over! How’d you do with your healthy eating this month? Are you making one last push to get in some extra greens before the month is over? Because if you are, I have something that might help you out: Homemade Cheese Sauce!
Cheesy, cheddary, gooey cheese sauce, just the thing to pour over the dullest of veggies and turn them into a vegetable party. This is a fabulous little recipe to have in your back pocket because it’s so useful and versatile.
If you have a couple of minutes and some cheddar cheese, you could probably make this sauce right this second.
How to Make Cheese Sauce
Cheese sauce is one of the very easiest sauces to make and requires just four ingredients: butter, flour, milk, and cheese. Plus we’ll throw some salt, pepper, and cayenne in there to kick up the flavor. You start with a roux, whisking the butter and flour until you get a golden paste and then slowly pour in the milk and stir until you have a nice bubbly, creamy sauce. Once the sauce looks thick enough for you, you stir in the cheese, add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste, and voilà. Perfect cheese sauce ready to tasty up whatever you’re going to pour it over.
What to Serve With Cheese Sauce
- Vegetables, especially broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts
- Baked Potatoes With Chili
- Homemade Pretzels
- FRENCH FRIES!
Cheese Sauce Recipe Notes
- You can use any percentage milk or cream you’d like in this recipe, but I usually use 2%, which is what I keep on hand. The higher percentage fat, the creamier and richer the sauce will be.
- This sauce is best served immediately. It will start to get a little lumpy when cold and reheated.
As written, this recipe makes about 1 cup of cheese sauce, which generously serves 2. To change the recipe yield, hover over the number of servings (or click if you are on mobile) in the recipe card and slide the slider. Add a couple of minutes to the cooking time when doubling or tripling.
Easy Homemade Cheese Sauce
- 1 tablespoon (14g) butter
- 1 tablespoon (8g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk any percentage
- 3/4 cup (3oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Pinch of cayenne to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small pot, over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking continuously, until flour is lightly golden 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in milk, whisking out any lumps as they form. Continue to whisk the mixture until it is thick and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until smooth, remove from heat and add cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy immediately!