This Peppermint Mocha is quick and simple to make at home. You don’t need espresso, store-bought syrups or peppermint extract, just coffee, milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and a candy cane.
Hey, it’s December, and that means it’s time to make some festive coffee drinks.
My go-to December treat-yourself coffee is always a Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha or regular Peppermint Mocha. Two years ago I posted the recipe for the homemade white chocolate version, so this year you’re getting a classic Peppermint Mocha.
Like my regular homemade Mocha, this is a really quick, simple, and basic recipe to make at home. You don’t need espresso, store-bought syrups or peppermint extract.
It’s made with strongly brewed coffee (or whatever coffee you have in your pot right now), a quick chocolate syrup of cocoa powder, sugar, and water, and the peppermint flavor comes from a crushed up candy cane.
It’ll take you about 5 minutes to throw together, which is waaaaay faster than putting on shoes and dragging yourself out into the cold to get Starbucks.
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full printable recipe.
How to Make a Peppermint Mocha at Home
- Using a zip top bag and a rolling pin or meat mallet, crush a candy cane into fine crumbs.
- On the stove, heat cocoa powder, sugar, and a little water together to make a chocolate syrup.
- Add milk and candy cane pieces and heat until milk is steaming and candy cane dissolved.
- Pour over hot coffee and stir.
And that’s it. Taste and add a little more sugar if you’d like it sweeter, and add a little heavy cream if you want it richer. Then just top it with some whipped cream and enjoy your peppermint mocha in your pajamas on a chilly morning.
Peppermint Mocha Recipe Notes
- If you only have small candy canes, one large candy cane is equal to about 3 or 4 minis.
- This recipe makes about 1 cup of coffee, enough to fill an 8-ounce mug. If you’d like to fill an oversized mug, 1 1/2 or double the recipe.
- Looking for more sweet drinks? Try an Eggnog Latte, White Chocolate Mocha, Caramel Macchiato, or Hot Chocolate.
Easy Peppermint Mocha
- 1 full-size candy cane
- 1 tablespoon (5g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (12g) granulated sugar plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup milk any percentage
- 3/4 cup hot strongly brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream optional
- Whipped cream optional
- Place candy can in zip top bag and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to crush the candy and into small crumbs.
- In a small pot, combine cocoa powder, sugar, and water. Heat over medium heat, whisking until a smooth chocolate syrup forms. Whisk in milk and add candy cane pieces. Heat, stirring often until milk is steaming and candy cane pieces have dissolved. Turn heat down if milk starts to simmer before candy is dissolved. Whisk vigorously to foam the milk slightly.
- Pour coffee into an 8-ounce mug. Add milk mixture and heavy cream if desired. Taste and add more sugar if not sweet enough. Top with optional whipped cream, serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.