Cool and refreshing milk tea with coffee jelly is so easy to make and fun to drink. Make some and impress your friends. You know you want to. 😉
Get ready for another edition of Tracy tries to make you watch something she loves. If your heart is hardened against this, just scroll right down to the recipe. 🙂
Hey, are you watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? If yes, yay!
If no, do you like musicals? Do you like hi-jinks? Do you like having your pants charmed off? Yes? Yes? Yes? Then you should be!!
CW via Tumblr
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is so funny, a little bit bawdy, and completely fantastic. I caught up with the show over the summer (all of season 1 is on Netflix) and I’m totally hooked.
Season two premieres tonight, which gives me the perfect excuse to post a recipe I’ve been dying to make on the blog forever: Milk Tea with Coffee Jelly!
What does milk tea and coffee jelly have to do with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? Well, the characters on this show spend an ungodly amount of time at their local Boba stand (it’s basically their Central Perk). And my favorite thing to order at bubble tea places is Milk Tea with Coffee Jelly.
CW via Tumblr
Plus, this is one of the few bubble tea menu options you can make at home without having to order tapioca pearls from Amazon. (Though if you want to, by all means, do!)
The milk tea part of this recipe is very simple: strongly brewed black tea, a little milk or cream, a little sugar. You brew the tea hot and then let it chill while you make your coffee jelly.
And the coffee jelly is literally just coffee, water, a packet of gelatin, and sugar. Stir the ingredients together and let it firm up in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
When you are ready to serve, all you have to do is cut the jello, mix your tea, and you’re ready to go.
I love, love, love making this for people, because it’s delicious, but it’s also pretty novel. As popular as Boba is in some places, there are tons of people who have never heard of it before, so serving them coffee jelly in their drink is a fun surprise! Plus, it’s just a damn refreshing treat. …Just like Crazy Ex-girlfriend. (Seriously, WATCH IT!) 😉
Milk Tea with Coffee Jelly Notes
You can serve these with a large boba straw if you want to order them*. I serve them with a spoon.
You will probably have some coffee jelly left over. Enjoy it with a spoonful of lightly sweetened whipped cream over the top.
Milk Tea with Coffee Jelly
- 1 packet gelatin (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 heaping tablespoons (35g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup very hot strong coffee
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 bags black tea
- 2 tablespoons (25g granulated sugar (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- In a medium bowl, stir together gelatin and water. Allow gelatin to bloom for 3 to 5 minutes before stirring in sugar and very hot coffee. Stir until sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved.
- Transfer mixture to a 7x5-inch dish. Refrigerate until solid, at least three hours.
- While your coffee jelly is firming up, add tea bags to hot water and brew very strong black tea. Allow to cool slightly before placing in the refrigerator to chill.
- Once jelly is firm and tea cold, stir together tea, sugar, and cream. Add more sugar and cream to taste. Cut jello into 1/2-inch cubes (slightly smaller if serving with a straw), and add to your glass until the glass is about 1/3 of the way full. Pour in milk tea.
Serve with a spoon (or a boba straw) and enjoy!