Light and easy Pasta Primavera with sweet crunchy bell peppers, tomatoes, and lean chicken breast served over penne pasta and topped with Parmesan cheese.
It’s Monday! How was your weekend? Did you watch the Golden Globes last night? Did any of your favorites win? I’m an awards show junkie, so I made naan pizza for the occasion (OMG, so good, recipe coming soon) and happily settled in for three hours of beautiful people giving each other awards. I was super excited to see my fav, Olivia Colman get recognized, and oh man, those Viola Davis and Meryl Streep speeches were so great.
Also, Kristen Bell has maybe inspired me to cut my hair into a lob again. Tell me not to do it, people. Talk me down from this ledge!
I realized as I started writing this post that today, in the dead of winter, I’m posting a pasta with a name that basically translates into “spring pasta.” I could say that was intentional and that I’m dreaming of spring, but to be perfectly honest, I love winter (at least my mild SoCal version of it). I’m in no hurry to see spring take its place. I just really love eating this pasta all year round and wanted to share it with you now. 🙂
Up there with other favorites like my Ham and Potato Soup (that recipe just got new photos, have you seen them?), BLT Salad, and Peasant Soup, it’s one the recipes I make most often in my own kitchen, because it’s just a dinner you feel good about eating and making.
This easy Pasta Primavera is all about lots of veggies (okay, tomatoes are a fruit), some lean chicken breast, and a little bit of cheese coming together to make a damn good pasta. I love that it’s easy to make. I love that it’s a bit spicy and just a tiny bit sweet. And I love that it’s a nice and light pasta for those times when I desperately need some carbs in my life.
More Easy Pasta Dishes
Easy Pasta Primavera for Two
- 4 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small (about 8 ounces) boneless chicken breast cubed
- 1 large bell pepper (any color) diced small
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with green green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup (1oz) shredded Parmesan cheese
- Put a medium pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While your pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, over medium to medium-high heat, melt butter. Add chicken breast, sprinkle with salt, and cook until cooked through. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Return pan to heat and add bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until vegetables just begin to soften.
- Add tomatoes and spices, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture becomes thick and saucy, about 6 to 10 minutes (different brands of tomatoes will vary). Stir in cooked chicken and simmer for 1 minute more or until chicken is hot.
- Stir in cooked pasta, dish up, and top with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Adapted from AllRecipes