This Hot Chocolate for One recipe is just three simple ingredients. It’s quick, easy, and delicious, perfect for those times when you need some hot chocolate NOW.
This post and photos have been updated. Don’t worry. You’re in the right place. 😉
Hey, friends, have a craving for hot chocolate but no hot chocolate mix in your cupboard? No worries, I’ve got you covered.
If you have milk in your fridge and cocoa powder and sugar in your baking cupboard, you can make and be sipping a creamy, fabulous cup of hot cocoa in about 5 minutes.
How to Make Hot Chocolate
To make hot chocolate on the stovetop, you’ll whisk together cocoa powder, sugar, and a bit of water over medium heat to make a chocolate syrup and then whisk in milk and a pinch of salt and heat until steaming.
If making hot chocolate in the microwave, you’ll combine cocoa powder, sugar, and water in a mug, microwave for 30 seconds, stir until smooth and then add milk. Microwave 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, until steaming, and stir until mixed.
Hot Chocolate Mix-ins
Want a little hot chocolate upgrade? Try adding…
Stir a spoonful of peanut butter into your hot chocolate and top with peanut butter sauce for Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate.
Use whole milk or replace 1/4 cup of the milk with heavy cream for Richer/Creamier Hot Chocolate.
Toss in a small handful of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate to melt just before adding the milk for Extra Chocolaty Hot Chocolate.
Crush a candy cane and add it when you add your milk. Heat until it dissolves for Peppermint Hot Chocolate.
Even More Hot Chocolate Recipes to Try
- Rich and Thick Hot Chocolate
- Pink Hot Chocolate
- White Hot Chocolate
- Chai White Hot Chocolate
- Frozen Hot Chocolate
Hot Chocolate Recipe Notes
- This recipe makes 1 cup of hot chocolate, enough to fill an 8-ounce mug. To fill an oversized mug, 1 1/2 or double the recipe.
- Looking for more warming winter beverages? Try my Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha, Leftover Eggnog Latte, and White Chocolate Mocha.
Easy Hot Chocolate for One
A quick, easy, and delicious 3-ingredient hot chocolate recipe for those times when nothing else will do.
- 2 tablespoons (25g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (7g) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup milk any percentage
- Pinch of salt
- Whipped cream optional
- Mini marshmallows optional
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine sugar, cocoa powder, and water. Stir until sugar and cocoa powder dissolve.
Add milk and salt and stir. Heat until the mixture reaches your desired temperature, stirring occasionally.
Pour into an 8-ounce mug and top with optional whipped cream or marshmallows if desired. Enjoy!