This rich and warming White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha gets its peppermint flavor from crushed candy canes. No peppermint extract needed.
Today’s recipe is a combo of two of my coffee house favorites. White Chocolate Mocha + Peppermint Mocha =White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha!
Mmm. I could drink this every day. You get the rich, smooth and creamy white chocolate mocha base with a spicy peppermint kick. It’s just the sort of thing you want to wake up with around this time of year.
Usually in a drink like this, I would use peppermint extract. It’s something I keep stocked, and I’ve used it in desserts on the blog like my Small-batch Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream and Thin Mint Cupcakes, but I know it’s not something everyone keeps around. So instead of an extract to flavor this White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha, I used something we all have around this time of year: candy canes!
Yup, you just crush up a candy cane and let it steep while you heat your milk. It adds sweetness and peppermint flavor and you have one less candy cane to throw away on December 26th. 🙂
Like my Eggnog Latte, this White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha is a super quick drink to make. Heat milk and crushed candy cane, stir in chocolate, whisk until frothy, and pour over coffee. Easy and delicious! Definitely better than having to put on clothes to leave the house and pay someone else to make it for you.
I love making Starbucks runs, but I love an easy excuse to stay home and drink fancy coffee in my pajamas even more. 😉
White Chocolate Mocha Recipe Notes
- You can use espresso or coffee brewed at double strength in this recipe (or just regular old coffee for a more mild coffee flavor–it’s still delicious). Instant espresso powder* is a handy thing to keep stocked in your pantry for coffee and for baking in general (it will give your chocolate desserts a nice kick). You can order it online and also find it in a little jar in the coffee aisle at most grocery stores.
- If you only have mini candy canes, 1 large candy cane = about 4 minis.
As written, this recipe makes 1 12-ounce drink. To change the recipe yield, hover over the number of servings (or click if you are on mobile) and slide the slider.
Candy Cane White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha
- 1 Large candy cane
- 1 cup milk any percentage
- 1/3 cup strong coffee or espresso
- 3 tablespoons (1.5oz) white chocolate, chopped (high-quality chips are fine*)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar or to taste
- Whipped cream
- Crushed candy cane for sprinkling
- Place candy cane in a plastic bag and use the bottom of a cup or meat mallet to crush it into small pieces.
- In a small saucepan, combine milk and crushed candy cane. Heat milk, whisking occasionally until milk begins to steam.
- Remove from heat, stir in chocolate, and continue to stir until chocolate is completely melted and candy cane pieces dissolved.
- Add coffee or espresso to a 12-ounce mug. Whisk the milk and chocolate mixture vigorously (or use an immersion blender to process) until frothy. Pour over coffee. Add sugar to taste.
- Top with whipped cream and more crushed candy cane if desired and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.