This easy Chicken Parm Soup is basically deconstructed chicken parmesan in a bowl. Big chunks of chicken in a rich tomato soup with the pasta of your choice and p-l-e-n-t-y of gooey mozzarella and Parmesan.
It’s been a little while since I last shared a soup recipe with you (the last one was this AMAZING Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup), but I think the wait has been worth it because today’s soup recipe is total comfort food: Chicken Parmesan Soup.
This is basically deconstructed chicken parm in a bowl. Big chunks of chicken in a rich tomato soup with the pasta of your choice and p-l-e-n-t-y of gooey mozzarella and Parmesan.
It is extremely warming and delicious, and it could not be easier to make.
Incredibly Easy Chicken Soup
I wrote this recipe to use leftover cooked chicken, so you can use leftover chicken you have on hand or grab a rotisserie chicken at the store and use the white meat from that (save the thighs and drumsticks to take for lunches and the carcass to make soup!).
Since you’re starting with cooked chicken, this soup comes together super quick and easy in one pot with minimal fuss.
No Cooked Chicken? No Problem: And if you don’t have any cooked chicken to start with, not a problem. I’ve included instructions for cooking your own in the recipe notes, and it will only add a couple of minutes to the overall cooking time.
What to Serve With Chicken Parm Soup?
More Favorite Chicken Recipes
- This recipe calls for crushed tomatoes, but you can use canned diced tomatoes if you don’t mind a chunkier soup. To use canned whole tomatoes, lightly puree them with an immersion blender or chop them by hand before using.
Chicken Parm Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons (33g) tomato paste
- 4 cups (2 14.5-ounce cans) chicken broth
- 2 14-ounce cans crushed tomatoes *
- 4 ounces (about 1 ⅓ cup) penne or favorite pasta for soup
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ heaping teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded, white or dark meat is fine*
- ½ cup (2oz) shredded Parmesan
- 1 cup (4oz) shredded mozzarella divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot with a lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften and turn translucent around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until garlic begins to turn golden and fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and cook, watching closely, until the paste begins to stick and caramelize on the bottom of the pan, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and crushed tomatoes, scraping the bottom of the pot as you go making sure to dislodge any cooked-on bits.
- Cover and bring to a simmer, adjusting heat as necessary. Simmer for 8 minutes. Add pasta, basil, and oregano, and cook, covered, until pasta is al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken and parmesan and heat until chicken is warmed through and parmesan is melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese. Serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.