This Small-batch Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is silky smooth, tangy, and very cream cheesy, basically everything you could possibly want from cream cheese frosting!
I have another small-batch frosting recipe to share with you today, Small-batch Cream Cheese Frosting.
This is the favorite frosting of almost everyone in my family, so I find myself making it *often*. And I’m not exactly complaining because it’s a really good frosting. It’s silky smooth, tangy, and very cream cheesy, which I think is an absolute must for cream cheese frosting.
I hate it when I bite into something with a “cream cheese frosting” and the cream cheese is barely a whisper of a flavor.
This cream cheese frosting, you take a bite and you know immediately what you’re eating. It has a 1:1 ratio of cream cheese to butter, so you still get all the richness of a buttercream, but also the smooth tang of cream cheese, which is exactly what you want from a cream cheese frosting.
I use this recipe all the time. It’s on my Mini Carrot Cake, Small-batch Pumpkin Cupcakes, and Mini Pumpkin Cake on the site. It makes between 3/4 and 1 cup frosting and will cover 4 to 6 cupcakes when piped (4 big dramatic swirls, 6 like the one in the photo above). Or about 8 cupcakes or cookies when frosted with a knife. And it will generously top a 5×7-in cake.
Small-batch Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Tips
- I prefer my cream cheese frosting a little softer than traditional American buttercream, so this recipe uses only 2/3 cup powdered sugar. For a stiffer frosting, add up to 1/3 cup of powdered sugar.
- To avoid lumps, starting with softened cream cheese is essential. When you start beating your cream cheese and butter together, if they are not mixing nicely, don’t add the sugar yet. Let everything sit for 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature and try again. This isn’t usually much of a problem in summer, but can be an issue in cold kitchens during the winter!
More Small-batch Frosting Recipes
- Vanilla Frosting
- Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cookie Dough Frosting
- Strawberry Frosting
- Oreo Frosting
Small-batch Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons (2oz) unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (80g) powdered sugar sifted, plus up to (1/3) cup more for stiffer frosting
- Pinch of salt
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract. Beat until well-mixed and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and salt and continue to beat until sugar is completely incorporated and frosting is smooth and creamy. For a stiffer frosting, add up to 1/3 cup more of powdered sugar. Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.