This Small-batch Oreo Frosting, made with cream cheese and crushed Oreo, is the cookies and cream frosting of your dreams.
Happy Friday! I have something small and sweet for you today.
This summer, I’ve been building out Baking Mischief’s selection of Small-batch Muffin Recipes. For the next few weeks, I’ll be doing the same for my Small-batch Cupcakes Archive. Along with the cupcakes though, I’ll be posting small-batch frosting recipes so you can mix and match and make whatever cupcake makes your heart beat a little faster. 😉
All of these frosting recipes make between 3/4 and 1 cup of frosting, depending on how much air you beat into them. That’s enough to dramatically frost four to five cupcakes with big swirls or frost about eight cupcakes or cookies with a knife.
First up is this fabulous Small-batch Oreo Frosting. I used it on some Small-batch Chocolate Cupcakes this past weekend and oh man is it good.
This frosting uses both cream cheese and softened butter as a base alongside powdered sugar and a crushed Oreo. The cream cheese doesn’t give the frosting a strong cream cheese flavor, it just helps to mimic the taste of the creamy center of an Oreo.
If you don’t feel like opening a package of cream cheese to make this frosting, you *can* use all butter (just replace the cream cheese with an additional 2 tablespoons of butter), but I really love the creamy, tangy boost that it gives the recipe, so if you can use cream cheese, do!
This frosting is fabulous over chocolate cupcakes, pillowed between sugar cookies, or if you want to go really wild, serve alongside a plate of Oreos and use as a dip!
It’s going to be a good time no matter how you choose to enjoy it.
Small-batch Oreo Frosting
Small-batch Oreo Frosting
- 1 Oreo
- 2 tablespoons (1oz) unsalted butter softened
- 1 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- Separate Oreo and scrape filling into a small bowl. Place cookie halves in a small plastic bag and crush into a fine crumb with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy glass. Set crumbs aside.
- To the bowl, add softened butter and cream cheese. Beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar and cookie crumbs and 1 teaspoon of milk or cream. Beat until sugar is completely incorporated and frosting is fluffy. Add up to 2 teaspoons more of milk or cream if necessary until frosting reaches your desired consistency.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. There is absolutely no additional cost to you.